May 9, 2011

Am I a crazy person?

I saw a recent online article about how we are, mathematically speaking, almost certainly living within a computer simulation of some hyper-advanced culture.  Accepting a few necessary assumptions, you can show that it's pretty much likely that the entire universe is a computer program.

That of course made me think of movies like The Matrix, where people's entire realities (and not to mention acting careers) are suddenly cast into doubt as it is revealed that everything they think they know is a lie.  As a scientist, or a person who is curious about the way the world works, such a revelation would really suck.  I've spent the better part of my life trying to learn.  It all sounds crazy.

I was reminded that craziness is probably one of those 'eye of the beholder' kind of things tonight.  I had to go to the grocery store to pick up some dog treats because they are being visited by a pet-sitter this week (I can't come home at lunch due to training to let them out).  While I was leaving the store I noticed a fiery searcher wandering around the pavement near the gardening section.


Before you ask, this is a fiery searcher.

These are substantial insects, and they have mandibles that could result in a painful bite.  Not something to try and capture if you are preoccupied with the 5 pound bag of peanut butter-flavored, breath-freshening dog biscuits you just purchased, along with the questionable sci-fi movie you rented from Redbox.  But this is a cool beetle - a real collector's item.  Not terribly rare or anything, but one that I don't have yet and one that I've been searching for since the fall of 2009.  So what was I to do?

Well, I ran to my car and searched for something to put it in.  Normally there are about 500 discarded cups and pop bottles, but I cleaned it out the other day, so no luck there.  However, I was able to find some trash in the parking lot that would work.  All I had to do was dump out the pink lemonade or whatever the hell it was.  I only got a few stares as I was trying to find this bug again, and was chasing it down with a McDonald's cup outside the front of a Wal-Mart.  I console myself that most of them were dressed like twerps and appeared, like most 18-30 year-olds in college towns across America, to be on drugs.  Clearly, pursuing beetles in parking lots is standard operating procedure.

Is this the behavior of a crazy person?

2 comments:

  1. Yes...oh wait, are the drugged up college kids crazy? Or the beetle chaser? But still...Yes.

    Ewwwww....bugs. It looks alot like the Japanese Beetles we have here, but without those scary jaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, just the behavior of someone who doesn't care what other people think.

    That, or maybe you ARE crazy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete