December 24, 2010

This time I meant it

The last time I wrote a blog about songs that get stuck in my head, I didn't mean to.  It's one of the most visited posts on this blog.  This time I actually mean it, and on Christmas Eve, what better genre of music to pick on than Christmas music?

1.  Feliz Navidad
This one pretty much speaks for itself, but my wife did have a neighbor when we first met whose young child would sing this song at the top of his lungs while shaking his money-maker in the front picture window.



2.  Santa Baby
Man, I hate this song.  Aside from the blatant materialism involved, it just gets under my skin.



3.  I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas
This song is actually kind of cute, which is a great deal of improvement for me from the way I used to feel about it.  Still, the little kid's vocals stuck in your head all day long tend to drift away from cute.



4.  Any of the modernized versions of 'Jingle Bells'
Think 'Rusty Chevrolet', or either of the two current TV commercials for Overstocked.com.  I honestly need to hear the original 'Jingle Bells' once a year to counter the 'other' lyrics to this song...



5.  Anything by Mannheim Steamroller
Honestly, what is a Mannheim Steamroller?  Has it got something to do with Anaheim, California?  Let's check Wikipedia... ok, it turns out it actually has nothing to do with steamrollers in the sense that anyone alive today would think of.  Kind of disappointing.  Anyway, this band (along with Aaron Neville and Kenny G) got played pretty much nonstop at my family's place at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment